The health benefits of quitting smoking begin immediately after your last cigarette. Within minutes of stubbing out a cigarette, your body begins to repair and rejuvenate itself. In many cases, the damage done by tobacco can be completely reversed!
At the Smokers’ Helpline we often hear people report that they have so much more energy when they quit, even after just a few days of living smoke free! Here are some of the other health benefits you can look forward to.
20 minutes after your last cigarette:
- Blood pressure drops to normal.
- Pulse rate drops to normal.
- Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal.
- Carbon dioxide levels in blood drops to normal.
- Oxygen level in blood increases to normal.
- Chance of heart attack decreases.
- Nerve endings start re-growing.
- Ability to smell and taste is enhanced.
- Circulation improves.
- Walking becomes easier.
- Lung function increases up to 30%.
- Decrease in coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath.
- Cilia re-grow in lungs, increasing their ability to clean the lungs, reduce infection, and handle mucus.
- Body’s overall energy increases.
- Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker.
- Lung cancer death rate for an average one-pack-a-day former smoker decreases by almost half.
- Stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.
- Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus is cut in half.
- Lung cancer death rate is similar to that of nonsmokers.
- Precancerous cells are replaced.
- Risk of mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas cancers decrease.
- Risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a non-smoker.
Contact the Smokers’ Helpline today to find out how you can start repairing the damage to your body. Call 1-800-363-5864.